Searching for your ideal wedding dress can seem like a daunting task and with so many websites and so much advice it can be difficult to know where to start.
Here are some top tips to help with your search for your perfect dress:
1. Set yourself a budget– remember to be realistic with what you can afford and stick to it. Once you have worked out your budget you will have your starting point as every boutique has their own individual price range and you’ll know which ones to visit and which ones to avoid!
2. Don’t try too many styles at once– this can sometimes hinder rather than help your decision- you will have an idea of what styles will suit you so don’t over complicate things with too many different options.
3. Advice– take some girlfriends with you as it is always helpful to have a second opinion when trying on dresses for the big day. Remember to take those whose opinions you truly value, maybe one or two close friends or relatives.
4. Undergarments– take the undergarments you are going to wear on the day to ensure the dress fits properly. And if you already have them, take your wedding shoes- shoes are important as this can affect your posture and the overall fit of your dress.
5. Think about you– some Brides can be self-conscious about certain parts of their figure so remember to think about yourself when trying on the dress and make sure that you feel comfortable in what you are wearing. It’s your big day and you want to feel amazing!
6. Fabrics– the time of year you are planning to get married can determine the type of fabrics of your wedding dress. Think light, natural fibres for the summer and for the winter, why not layer your dress by wearing a faux fur jacket.
7. Note taking– taking notes of the individual styles you have tried on will really help. What did you hate? Remember to take a note of the designers you have already tried which will make it easier for you later on when you come to make that final decision.
8. Research– once you have an idea of the styles and designer you like, why not research the internet for the dresses that match your criteria and preferences and see what other boutiques stock their designs.
9. Check costs– ask whether alterations are included in the final cost of the dress as some bridal shops and boutiques will add this as an additional cost- beware!
10. Be prepared that there might not be ‘the one’– not every Bride will find ‘the one’ straight away and there might be 3 or 4 dresses that you like or you may not find anything for ages! This doesn’t mean you have to give up! Everyone is different and not everyone’s needs will be found in a bridal shop. Why not think outside the box and think bespoke?
Emma at Clearwell Castle