This week’s blog is based on the traditional meaning and superstitions of wedding and engagement rings- some very interesting information.
1. Engagement and wedding rings are worn on the fourth finger of the left hand because it was once thought that a vein in that finger led directly to the heart.
2. About 70% of all brides sport the traditional diamond on the fourth finger of their left hand.
3. Diamonds set in gold or silver became popular as betrothal rings among wealthy Venetians toward the end of the fifteenth century.
4. In the symbolic language of jewels, a sapphire in a wedding ring means marital happiness.
5. A pearl engagement ring is said to be bad luck because its shape echoes that of a tear.
6. One of history’s earliest engagement rings was given to Princess Mary, daughter of Henry VIII. She was two years old at the time.
7. Seventeen tons of gold are made into wedding rings each year in the United States!
8. Snake rings dotted with ruby eyes were popular wedding bands in Victorian England- the coils winding into a circle symbolized eternity.
9. Aquamarine represents marital harmony and is said to ensure a long, happy marriage.
10. The circle was the symbol of eternity, with no beginning or end
Emma at Clearwell Castle